Martha Davis and Charles Jack Sr.

Martha Davis and Charles Jack Sr. sitting together

Charles Jack Sr., Tlingit names Kay he nouk & Klow Koot, clan T’akdeintaan, X’áakw Hít \ X’áakw Yádi Hít (Sockeye House & Small Sockeye House), was born on February 16, 1910 in Hoonah. His parents were Andrew Jack, a fisherman (born 1872 in Tenakee) and Mary Williams (born 1879 in Hoonah).  

On September 12, 1934 he married Elizabeth Jacobson (Lizzie Hall), who was a widow born in Excursion Inlet. She was a cannery worker living in Juneau. They had nine children.

He was chief of the Tʼaḵdeintaan Clan in Hoonah, originating from the Sockeye House. Charles Jack skippered a seine boat from 1928 until 1974, at which time he became a hand troller. He had also worked at the Alaska Juneau Gold Mine and as a logger. He retired in 1994.  

Charles Jack, Sr. helped set up an army camp on the island Shemya in 1943. He was honorably discharged as Sergeant from the Civilian Conservation Corps. He also worked for Guy G. Atkinson at XIP (Excursion Inlet Packing Company) in the early 1950s.

He was an avid sports fan and didn't miss a Gold Medal Tournament for 50 years. He was also a member of the Hoonah camp No. 12 Alaska Native Brotherhood.

He died at the Mt. Edgecumbe Hospital in Sitka, on September 10, 1996 and was buried in Hoonah.  

Martha Davis

Martha Davis (born Martha Sally Osborne), Tlingit name Kaach Kanik, clan Chookaneidí, Xáay Hít (Yellow Cedar House) was born on May 13, 1914 in Dundas Bay.  

Her first marriage was to Leslie Duncan Johnson (born 1891, Hoonah) on May 30, 1938. She had four children with him. Her second marriage was to William B. “Buster” Davis in 1946, with whom she had one child.

She was a health aide and store clerk at L. Kane’s. She also worked at Ward's Cove Cannery in Excursion Inlet for several years.

She died on July 13, 2000 at her home in Hoonah.

The above information was gathered from Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian genealogy of Canada and Alaska.