Browse Digital Heritage

Search

Sort

Lincoln Gordon in his Double Ender
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
Summary
Fishermen would visit with each other after a day's fishing to share information. Lincoln Gordon (right) fished daily, trolling in front of Hoonah, Point Sophia, Spasski and as far out as Point Adolphus.
Hoonah City Harbor after 1944
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
Summary
In the 50's and 60's, Hoonah was known as home of the million dollar fleet for their skill, ability, success and how well they kept their boats.
Urania II Built in Hoonah and Skippered by David Williams
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
Summary
David Williams built his boat in Hoonah and used it for trolling, halibut fishing and seining. One of few boats converted for these three types of fisheries.
Fishing Boats in Hoonah 1960's
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
Boats in Hoonah 1950
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
Summary
Boats tied to the scow which is acting as a float at the machine shop dock.
FV Ralph II and Crew
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
Summary
The Ralph II was captained by Joe White and later Warren Sheakley.
Hoonah Boats Mid 1930's
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
The Yellowstone Excursion Inlet 1950
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
Summary
Setting a net near Excursion Inlet 1950.
Cannery Houses 1950
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
Summary
Houses at the cannery still remain as pictured and are lived in to to this day by management of the transformed cannery, now Icy Strait Point.
City Float Early 1960s
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
Hoonah Fishing Boats 1950
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing
Summary
Boats shown tied up at the gut (gurry) scow chute at the cannery.
Proposed Hoonah Harbor 1976
Community
Hoonah Community Members
Category
Fishing, People and Places
Summary
Aerial photo of Hoonah showing the proposed harbor, taken July 23, 1976 by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.